Tips from Alpro Pharmacy Monday Lab : How to Eat to Control Uric Acid Level in Body
By Pharmacist Lim En Ni
October 11, 2020
Gout is a form of inflammation where uric acid crystal accumulates at joints, usually smaller joints eg. fingers and toes
It can take days to recover and the pain can limit your daily activities.
Many are fearful when taking beans, but actually, beans like Dhal are moderate in purine level.
The key here is moderation.
For food that are high in purine level, you can eat, but eat less or find alternatives
For example, avoid cooking broth or soup base using Ikan Bilis, instead, you can use chicken broth.
Above is a chart of food with moderate purine level, meaning you can enjoy but avoid combination
For example, if you are having mushroom soup with cauliflower and wholemeal bread with a large portion of chicken, you may trigger a gout attack.
Next, this chart of low purine level food is definitely something good to enjoy and feast on,
And you can combine with food with moderate-high purine.
Extra Tips from our Dietitian Jayne
1. Becareful of the sweet tricks of High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)
They are very nasty but cheap. And hence is used as sweeteners in processed food, including cereals.
HFCS is also found in soft drinks. High intake of HFCS increases the uric acid level in the body.
2. Minimize Hot Pot / Steamboat / Slurping Up all Soups
Long time boiling with different food mixture condenses purine in food, and spike up Uric Acid level in body.
3. Stay Hydrated
Keep up with fluid, (exclude coffee and tea). Water can help to eliminate excess uric acid from body. So, drink more water!
Triticum Aestivum – The Superfood and excellent in Managing Uric Acid Level
- 100% pure, natural & organic cultivated in Australia
- Natural multivitamins & minerals
- No bulking agent
- No artificial additive & 100% chemical-free
- 100% gluten-free
- Boost energy & immune system
- Restore body alkalinity
- Detoxify, rejuvenate & rebuild body cells
- Reduce oxidative stress & inflammation
- Naturally rich in vitamins, minerals, amino acids, phytonutrients, antioxidant and enzymes
You can consume 1 packet every day for general health and also maintaining a balance uric acid level.